With marriage on your mind, it makes sense that wedding-worthy music would be a hot topic of conversation. What are the most popular first-dance songs today? Not sure which song to choose for your first dance? Spotify has come to the rescue.
The popular music-streaming service – which has seen its fair share of wedding music roundups, revealed the top 10 first dance and wedding songs from playlists across the globe.
Thanks to the vocals of popular artists like John Legend and Bruno Mars, each hit has “dancefloor-ready” written all over it and may even cause a tear or two to fall.
Take a cue from your Spotify listeners and save these top 10 love-infused songs to your “Songs” tab.
Top 10 First Dance Songs Globally Last Year:
- Ed Sheeran, “Perfect”
- Ed Sheeran, “Thinking Out Loud”
- Etta James, “At Last”
- John Legend, “All of Me”
- Elvis Presley, “Can’t Help Falling in Love”
- Christina Perri, “A Thousand Years”
- Ray LaMontagne, “You Are the Best Thing”
- Jason Mraz, “I Won’t Give Up”
- Ellie Goulding, “How Long Will I Love You”
- Ed Sheeran, “Perfect Duet” (Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé)
6 Tips for Choosing Your Perfect First-Dance Song
Selecting your first-dance song is an important part of your wedding planning activities. The right lyrics and music will help express your first moments of wedded bliss, and they’ll also generate memories of the big day. Some couples choose their special song long before they get engaged. Some others are so overwhelmed by the endless options, they can’t make a united decision. If you’re finding it challenging to choose the first-dance song for your wedding, follow our six tips.
Wedding Music Checklist
- Choose something sentimental. Many couples want to find a song that relates in some way to their relationship. Maybe the song played on the radio during your first kiss, or possibly it reminds you of an unforgettable trip. Regardless of the reason, selecting a song that has sentimental value will make your first dance extra special.
- Focus on a particular genre. Starting from square one can feel overwhelming because there are thousands of song options that are worthy of your wedding. Trim down your selection by focusing on one specific genre. It’s not always easy because your taste in music may greatly differ from that of your fiancé. Finding common ground will (hopefully) please all parties.
- Reflect on your love story. If you don’t have a “special song”, you can still choose something significant for your first dance. Consider the defining moments of your life together. Then conduct some research to locate lyrics that tell your unique love story. You may find something that speaks to the two of you and decide to include it in your wedding.
- Decide if you want something contemporary or traditional. The age of the song is almost as important as choosing the right genre. Ask yourselves if you’d rather select a contemporary wedding tune or a classic one. Consider the pros and cons of each.
- Consider the melody. Avoid choosing an upbeat song with a fast tempo for your first dance, unless that’s something you really want! You can also speak with your DJ or band in advance, to ask them to customize the rhythm of a particular song to make it more suitable for slow dancing.
- Talk to your band. Even if you don’t want to change the tempo of a song, you should still discuss your first-dance pick with the DJ or band to make sure they can properly play the tune. Your band may be willing to learn the most popular first-dance songs you choose for your big day. But if not, consider playing it from a speaker system instead, or choose another selection entirely. Just be sure that both partners are happy with the final results. Remember that the first-dance song will be yours for years and years to come!
We’re here to help you with all of your wedding planning tasks. Fill out our online contact form or call us at (830) 391-8685 and one of our coordinators will get back to you as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you down your path to the perfect wedding.